At the beginning of 2022 the Barbour Fund, which is administered by Belfast Charitable Society, supported the Community Kitchen and Social Supermarket run by Footprints Women’s Centre. The Community Kitchen and Social Supermarket aims to:
- Provide 400 individual community shops for over 55s.
- Provide 2000 healthy meals to older women in the Colin Area.
- Use surplus food to provide stock for meals.
The wider aim of the project is to:
- Tackle food poverty and poor nutrition in the Colin Area.
- Tackle poor health in the Colin Area.
- Address food waste.
The project, which started in April 2022, will use money from the Barbour Fund over the next year to make a major impact in the areas above.